Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Paleo-Zone Sweet Potato Hash

So far I'd say the Zone thing is pretty reasonable. I will say Memorial Day was not totally "in the zone", but I did alright. I also did a lot of working out this weekend- so I'm not going to beat myself up over it!

Anyway, this hash has become a go-to breakfast for me. I eat a little shy of 2/3 cup of this with a few sliced strawberries, 1 tsp almond butter, 2 eggs over-easy, and 1/2 of a chicken sausage link.

*I count the bacon in this as a block of fat per serving... The bacon I used was 5g of fat per 2 slices.. so 6 slices = 15g fat, divided over 7 servings is roughly 1 block of fat. I know zone counts bacon as a protein... but bacon has way more fat-blocks than protein-blocks per serving... so I've counted it as a fat here. I don't know if it's right-- it's just what I did. My bacon has 5g of protein per 2 slices... so 15g of protein in the entire recipe, divided by 7 servings is about 2g protein per serving, which is a fraction of 1 block of protein (literally 2/7). Thus, I count the protein from the bacon in this recipe as negligible.

I've seen mixed reviews on how to count sweet potatoes on zone-- I've seen it range from 1/5cup-1/3cup = 1 block of carbs. I went with the 1/3 cup estimate. You could use 4.5 cups of sweet potatoes to make 18 blocks of carbs if you think I've underestimated the carb-block value of sweet potatoes. Or not.


Sweet Potato Hash

21 blocks (about 2/3 cup = 3 blocks of carbs, 1 block of fat)

Ingredients:
- 1.5 cups of onion, chopped (1 block carbs)
- 2 cups bell pepper and/ or poblano pepper (use a mix), chopped (1 block carbs)
- 6 cups sweet potato, shredded (18 blocks of carbs)
- 6 slices bacon (see*)
- Salt/ pepper
- ½ tsp Cumin powder
- ½ tsp cayenne powder (optional)
- 1 tsp garlic powder

Directions
1. Cook bacon in large skillet/ pan.
2. Remove back from pan
3. Add onion, peppers. Saute until slightly softened
4. Add shredded sweet potato—allow to cook with lid, turning occasionally until potatoes are thoroughly cooked and browned
5. Add salt, pepper, cumin, garlic, and cayenne
6. Crumble bacon, add in to pan
7. Allow to cool, divide into 7 containers or just measure as needed (~2/3 cup = 3 carb blocks)

No comments:

Post a Comment