Monday, January 20, 2014

Bacon bundles

This weekend I went back to chopping and slicing... luckily no additional injuries to report. I had the stitches out today, and much to my disappointment, it still is pretty open. I thought everything would be good to go and sealed up... not so much. Sigh. I will be keeping Band Aid in business.

This recipe is a mash-up of 3 different people's ideas: I went to a PartyLite party 2 weekends ago and my friend Rosa served bacon wrapped sweet potatoes. They were downright DELICIOUS. I ate an embarrassing amount of them. Then-- my friend Jenni made something very similar for dinner with chicken. To top it off, Monica told me about an awesome chicken marinade she serves with bacon and avo... that her kids actually like (!).

...and then Bacon Bundles were born.

Bacon Bundles:

1 large sweet potato, sliced into thin wedges (about 1/2" thick)
1 package bacon, (nitrate free, not thick sliced)
1 package chicken breast tenders
1 avocado, sliced (for garnish)

Marinade (or sub Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing):
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 garlic clove, pressed in garlic press
1 tsp dijon mustard
dash of salt/ pepper

Potato dressing:
Olive oil
Rosemary
Kosher Salt

Preheat oven to 400F.

1. Prepare the marinade by combining all ingredients. Throw the chicken tenders in there. Marinate while you prepare the rest of the stuff-- or prepare before and let it soak.
2. Slice up your sweet tater into even wedges (about a half inch)
3. Put your tater slices in a bowl and drizzle olive oil on top-- then sprinkle rosemary and kosher salt to taste (you want to get the entire slice wet with the oil-- and there should be rosemary/ salt on every slice).
4. Get your bacon out...
5. Take a potato wedge, put a chicken tender on there... then wrap it up with a bacon slice... repeat. If you have more potato wedges than chicken-- no worries... just made bacon wrapped potato wedges!
6. Put on a rack with tray underneath (pictured above)
7. Bake for 15 minutes, turn, bake for another 15 minutes... make sure the potato wedges are fully cooked before removing.
8. Serve with sliced avocado.

I love the flavor these make. The sour balsamic mixing with the sweet potato and savory bacon... the soft potato + crunchy bacon...hot chicken + cold avocado... whoa!! I'm so confused but I'm okay with it!



Getting ready


Finished product- feeding time!

No comments:

Post a Comment