Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Eating when you're injured

You know how it goes... you're going about your life, doing your "thang", getting your workouts in, making progress towards your fitness goals- and BAM- something comes up that prevents you from working out as much, or in the way that you want to. This can be an injury, an unusually hectic work schedule, or just other commitments that get in the way of your workouts.

Pic source: hummingbirdcreativedesign.com

One thing I'm always cautious about when I'm injured is how much (and what) I'm eating. For the past 2-3 weeks I've been doing 1-2 workouts every day... in fact, most days have been 2 (between CrossFit, hot yoga, running, and rowing), but that is reduced for the time-being. 

When you're not working out as much anymore, it's time to really dial in your eating. When you're doing two-a-days everyday, you can eat more food than when you're not working out with such intensity. However, when you're working out less, or working out at a lesser intensity, you're not expending as many calories, and you're probably not building muscle like you were before.

My general approach is to consume less carbohydrates than before. Since I generally eat pretty paleo most of my carb consumption comes from fruit, root vegetables, and paleo treats. After the initial post-hand slicing, "I'm-sad-and-upset-so-I'm-eating-this" meal... I'm cleaning things up, and just trying to drink more fluids and take in less food overall. I'm also trying to be diligent about eating plenty of vegetables and getting my omega 3's in. I don't have a specific scholarly article backing this-- but I suspect my body needs all the vitamins/ minerals it can get from healthy foods as it's trying to repair the hole in my hand. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I should just jam some french fries down my bandage and feed the wound directly. Probably not.

I'm not into supplements. Fish oil is about the only supplement I take in addition to post-workout protein (when I remember, and when I'm not going to be eating a meal immediately after). (I also take a probiotic--not sure if that counts-- but that's made a big difference for me...we'll talk about those later.) I've taken a whole lot of vitamins, supplements, shakes, pills, etc. over time. I've never noticed any significant positive change from taking a supplement other than post-workout protein. I get my nutrients from food. I get adequate sleep. I manage stress. I drink plenty of water.  That's way better than anything made in a lab that comes in a bottle. You can't "out-supplement" a crappy lifestyle. If you're not sleeping, if you're stressed, if you're eating unhealthy food-- your body will retaliate in one way or another. 

I'm not an exercise physiologist. I'm not a doctor. But I do know when I don't workout and I keep eating like I'm working out, I gain weight. I've run a few marathons, and you get in the habit of eating a lot of food when you're running 40 miles a week. However, when the marathon is over-- you have to make a conscious effort to eat less food in the following weeks when you're recovering and running less. The same is true for CrossFit or any other fitness regime.

When you're injured your job #1 is getting healthy. Don't do stuff to make your injury worse. I see it all the time when I'm at the gym-- people pushing THROUGH injuries rather than working WITH them. All for what? Unless you're training for the games or regionals (maybe), I don't see any  reason to push your injuries and potentially make them worse, or make it take longer to heal. I'm not saying "don't workout until you feel 100%", but I am saying don't workout if it's causing you pain (some discomfort- okay, pain-not okay). I can tell you the last thing I want to do right now is rip out a stitch because I needed to do some pull-ups so I wouldn't "lose capacity". Guess what... 1 extra rep, a few pull-ups...whatever, won't create a lot more strength or endurance. Yeah, maybe it gives you a mental boost-- but don't forget the mental frustration 
that comes when you when you re-injure an old injury, or rip out a stitch, or create a new injury. Be patient. This too shall pass.

So for anyone else out there that's feeling frustrated because something is keeping them out of the gym... have faith that you'll get back in there, and that you'll be well-rested and ready to move forward when you do. Give your body the time it needs to heal-- this is the only body you're going to get- treat it right.




No comments:

Post a Comment