Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Week 1, Day 3

Today is a snow day for me. Woop woop!! I got to sleep in which was wonderful.

I started the day with another one of those baked eggs in the pepper. One problem with making all your food in advance for a week is that, if it sucks, you still have to eat it the next day (unless it's so bad you want to throw it away and make something new- but ain't nobody got time for that). 

Anyway- this time I covered that bastardized egg in hot sauce and it was better. Since the egg was baked on tin foil, it got an almost plastic-like in some parts... gross. To improve this, I would suggest throwing in some herbs for flavor, and using pancetta or bacon (a saltier, more flavorful meat). I would also make sure you don't overfill the peppers-- if the egg cooks on the foil it gets that plastic-like texture--which is just sick.

Hot sauce covers a multitude of cooking mistakes, disasters, and otherwise bad-tasting food.

I got to go the gym at 11 today which was great. We did a 1RM full clean and jerk. I hit 150, which is not a PR for me, but it's getting better. I think I could've done more, but I wanted to be a little cautious not to mess up all the progress I've made with my back/ hip. We re-did the CF open workout 13.4 afterwards. I did 69 reps today (87 last year). I'll deal with it though- this is what happens when you have priorities other than working out. Besides, I did that wod after some serious strength and skill work, so I was less than fresh. Excuses, excuses- but whatevs. C'est la vie. 

Since I have the day off I figured I'd make some soup. I love Thai food (which Chris hates)- so I'm going to make a paleo-ized version of Thai Coconut soup. I've checked out a few recipes, and I'm combining a few to make what I think will be the BEST- haha! I like my soups a little more full (less watery) than this soup is traditionally served. I'm using this as a lunch for the next two days-- so it's gotta fill a girl UP! Also... I'm sick of bell peppers right now, and I needed a meal that did not include bell peppers. lol.

CCL Paleo Thai Coconut Soup:

2 Chicken breast (about 1.25 #)
1 can coconut milk, full fat
4 cups chicken stock (I used a 32 oz box)
1 tsp lime juice
2 TBSP lemongrass puree (I bought this in the refridgerated section--it says the entire tube is 6 stalks of lemongrass.... if you're using real lemongrass I'd say to use 2 stalks)
A container of mushrooms, probably 2 cups sliced 
1 TBSP fish sauce
1 tsp red curry paste (if you don't have this, try 1 tsp sriracha)
1 inch piece of ginger, grated
2 large carrots, sliced thinly
3 garlic cloves, pressed in garlic press

Crockpot it. High for 4 hours or low for 8 hours... just make sure your chicken is cooked all the way through. Shred the chicken. Enjoy.

For dinner tonight we're having the rest of the chicken enchilada meat. 

Well- that's it for now. It's currently 3 degrees outside. The only time I felt truly warm today was when I went to hot yoga and the room was 90 degrees. Summer- I miss you.

I'll let you know how the soup turns out (pictures, of course). Next on the docket we have: 

Crockpot Ropa Vieja (Wed)
      I'm skipping the cauliflower rice.... serving with sweet taters instead... feeling lazy.

Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos (Thur)
      Recipe: (for the tortillas): http://www.againstallgrain.com/2012/05/03/paleo-fish-tacos/
      the recipe for the fish is TBD... but I feel like Mahi-mahi has a great natural flavor- so it will be simple.


No comments:

Post a Comment